Monday, May 17, 2010

Title Role

Since I started this blog, a whole two days ago, I've told a couple of people about it that aren't online very often and probably wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I explained that it seems like a good way to try to get my feelings out. While they mostly give one word responses intermittently in order to assure me that they're still paying attention as I ramble on, and they make a noble effort to mask the "this is a stupid idea" tone in their voice, I always get an interesting response when I reveal what I've decided to title my blog. I guess I didn't quite realize the effect it would have on others, but I have no intention of changing it.
The fact is, I do feel like I'm a taboo. Mormon and divorced? And so young? I'm an embarrassment! Okay, maybe I shouldn't go that far. But sometimes it feels like the truth. I do need to clear something up, though. The rest of the title says that I'm a divorced Mormon woman. This blog is NOT anti-Mormon. I will readily admit that my situation has caused me to really struggle with my faith, but I still align myself with the LDS church and don't plan on doing otherwise any time soon. This just adds to the ways in which I'm an enigma, I guess. Mormons don't understand how I can be divorced, and non-Mormons don't seem to understand how I can still believe in the church after what has happened.
The truth is that there is an exception to every rule. I've always tried to stand out, to be that exception. It seems that there are a few ways in which I don't really have to try. I'm just odd. Unfortunately, being an individual has its consequences. Unique people just don't fit in.

1 comment: