Friday, May 21, 2010

Movin' on Up

Well, I did it. I finished college. It took me quite a bit longer than I planned, but it's finally over. For a while, my excitement about this achievement was taken away because of the whole divorce thing. My husband and his family were all excited for me because none of them have bachelor's degrees. It was kind of nice, because my family is more like, "Whatever. That's what you're supposed to do."My in-laws were planning on throwing me a party and giving me some pretty cool gifts. I don't really like their parties or really know any of the people they invite, but I would've gotten stuff and that's always cool.
Despite their excitement for me, however, I think I'm more glad to be rid of them than I am disappointed about the absence of parties and gifts. I'm proud of my achievement, and that's all that really matters. That, and the fact that I don't need to stay up till four in the morning writing an analysis of Frankenstein using sources from literary journals ever again.
Along with a few other happy occurrences, finishing school has really helped me to feel better about myself and more positive about my situation. While I always knew that I would eventually get over this extremely large bump in the road, it really helps to have some good stuff happen to give me a boost.

2 comments:

  1. It was kind of nice, because my family is more like, "Whatever. That's what you're supposed to do."

    Wait, last I heard, the family was going to have a special dinner for you. Did that get canceled or something? Either way, I'd say that counts as more than a "Whatever." Unless it got canceled for something stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. It hasn't been cancelled, but I'm pretty sure that Sarah's husband put the idea in everyone's head. There were no such plans until he asked if I was doing anything to celebrate and his eyes got all big and sad when I said I wasn't. He also asked if I wanted them to throw a party or something.

    ReplyDelete