Monday, September 13, 2010

A Hard Day

Getting divorced is expensive. It wouldn't be nearly as expensive if I had decided to go through the whole process without a lawyer. Because I'm young and was only married for a short time, it SHOULD be easy for me to get all the paperwork done by myself or possibly with the help of a paralegal. However, the causes of my divorce were a little extreme and the things my husband's family did to me while he was at boot camp were insane. Therefore, I do NOT want to deal with all the legal issues without someone who knows what they're doing.
Today I got a call from my lawyer's office. I was actually happy, because I had been trying to get a hold of someone there earlier in the day. I thought she was calling me back. I should have known better. She never calls me back. It was someone else telling me that I needed to give the lawyer a lot more money that I don't have.
So, of course, I started freaking out. I got off the phone with her and started crying. The really awesome part is that this all happened about three minutes before my class was supposed to start. The even more awesome part is that I feel really stupid when it comes to that class, so I couldn't really afford to skip it. The awesomest part was that, after I had composed myself a bit, I went into the classroom and the teacher decided to be friendly and ask how I was doing. When I realized he was talking to me, I looked up and tried to force a smile. When that didn't work, he asked me if I had had a hard day. I nodded and sat down with tears in my eyes. Like I said, awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for being so honest! When I went through my divorce I always looked through the internet trying to find anyone else who was going through what I was going through, I didn't just want to hear that things would get better, or about the different steps to grieving. I always wished I had the courage to write so openly like you do so that I could help others who also go through divorce or a break up. Divorce is seriously going to be one of the hardest things you'll ever go through! And unfortunately I think in the church in can sometimes be worse because of all the expectations of church members, of your broken childhood and YW dreams, and the in-laws, who for some reason make it their business to interfere!!! I really feel your pain - it hurts!
    All the best for a better day tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I do this mostly for myself, but I would love for others to get something out of it. It's good to hear that someone who understands the experience appreciates what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete